Saturday, February 4, 2012

More Blessed and Holy - More Savior, Like Thee

When I was on my mission I promised myself ONE THING...that I would NOT work at the Missionary Training Center when I came home. I LOVED my MTC experience and my MTC Teachers, but I feel like there is such a stupid stigma in Provo of "OOOH! That person works at the MTC? Wow. Look at them. They must have been an awesome missionary," OR "Really? You work at the MTC? Can't you get over your mission already?"

I don't know that I was an awesome missionary, although I certainly tried hard. I also think that I am not one to live in that past and have adjusted to being home pretty well. However, my attitude definitely changed when I moved to Utah. I was looking for a job and I really wanted something close and part time and something I would enjoy, so I gave in and applied at the MTC. Several interviews and practice teachings later I was offered a position.

Working there has been the most incredible experience. I saw my first district of elders leave this week and just two days ago welcomed nine new missionaries (INCLUDING THREE HERMANAS! YAY). I love teaching and I love being around the missionaries. It makes me feel good. It makes me feel important. It gives me confidence.

They are so good. All of them. Even the ones that struggle. They try so hard and they think that I am the coolest person EVER just because I am their teacher. I would not spend my Friday nights in any other way. I am so proud of each elder and sister who has the courage to sacrifice two years and serve the Lord. I didn't really recognize what an amazingly hard thing that was until I actually did it.

Here are my elders that just left for the field...





















I love these boys! I miss them. I was reading their teacher reviews and was just overwhelmed with how incredible they are. Here are a few of their comments...

"Hna. Christensen's attitude is amazing! She's always ready to teach the language and willing to have a little fun in the process. She is able to adapt to people's learning styles well and knows what each missionary needs. She has an amazing liveliness about her, that, even when the missionaries are struggling or down, she can get them ready to learn and teach."

"Hermana Christensen can teach grammar very easily.  For us being her first district she did an awesome job at helping us understand Spanish concepts and having fun while doing it.  When it came to working hard on something she wouldn't let us give up and kept helping us to understand the topic."


"I really liked that she cared about each missionary individually. She made me feel good about myself and was very encouraging and very nice. She helped me to set good goals. And was alwyas caring and nice. And was helpful with teaching us how to teach investigators in certain situations."



"She really taught me well with the spanish.  She always had the spirit with her.  She seems like she really wanted to teach us.  She's awesome."


"I like that this teacher is a hard worker, and really tries to relate with the missionaries. She tries to help us as best as she can. I appreciate how she encourages us that the language will come, where as other teachers don't really do this so much. She's a positive, uplifting, and optimistic teacher. I appreciate that the most."

I do not share that to say that I am amazing and I am not posting about teaching at the MTC to make you think that I am a great teacher. I am just lucky to get to spend my days in the presence of such humble kids who try hard and who love me for exactly who I am...imperfections and all. It uplifts me, inspires me, and makes me want to better.

No comments:

Post a Comment