Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Speak, People - Tis Your Cue

So here I am up late trying to study for my Disorders of Articulation exam tomorrow. Did I ever mention how much I LOVE studying Communication Disorders? I love it a lot. It is fascinating to me. I love that I can help people learn to speak better - or at least will one day be able to help people learn to speak better.

The more I think about it the more I am convinced that most people I meet these days seem to have some kind of communication disorder. It is really not normal to prefer to send a text message than talk in person,  or to say half the words needed to form a complete sentence because you are lazy. People today really do have a hard time finding their words and communicating in general.

I am not good with grammar and punctuation. My vocabulary needs to improve, but I love language. I spent two hours on YouTube yesterday just watching parts of certain Disney movies in Spanish because I wanted to compare the difference between Spanish and English. I revel in listening to my elders speak to me in beautiful Spanish just weeks after they arrive at the MTC. I sat there in my classroom tonight in awe at the ability we have as human beings to communicate and the ability the brain has to lean language.

Read or listen to a Shakespearian Sonnet this week.

Learn a new word and actually use it.

Contemplate on the creative ability you have to simply put beautiful words in sentences and create something glorious that did not exist before.

I was buying Mother's Day cards at Hallmark and I thinking about the power that words have. Every time we open out mouths we have the power to hurt or heal.  Language is the greatest invention ever. No machine will ever be able to duplicate the human brain combined with the vocal tract. No invention will ever be able to uplift us, inspire us, motivate us, or make our lives easier than words on a page or sentences spoken.

Point taken. I love this commercial:


I found this on a friend's blog the other day and though that I would share. Thanks Carolyn : D


No comments:

Post a Comment