Thursday, April 5, 2012

"Surely the thing God enjoys most about being God is the thrill of being merciful."

I love conference. The end. It is SO inspiring and uplifting and wonderful. It is the best Holiday of the whole year. I do mean "Holiday" because it is one of the four days a year I actually get off : D My favorite talk was from Elder Jeffery R. Holland.


I like this talk for many reasons. I think it is something most people in the church and outside of the church need to hear. As members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints we often refer to ourselves as the first in the Vineyard; the first ones hired. This is true! We have so many blessings. We were born in the dispensation of times and we have the fullness of the gospel. I think it can be applied alone to those already inside of the church as well. There are varying degrees inside the church.

At the time of conference I was feeling a little bit like those waiting along the streets of Jerusalem for work until the later hours of the day. There are unanswered prayers and blessings that I feel like I deserve and am qualified for, but can't seem to make happen in my life. At times I feel like saying "HEY! Why was he hired instead of me? I have been standing here longer and I am a better worker and I need work too! What is so special about him that he was chosen for the job?"

This is such a sweet reminder that the Lord will never leave us alone in the end. We may have to wait until the 11th hour...and the 59th minute...but he WILL provide.

As Elder Holland was speaking I pictured the Savior going into the city to hire workers in the morning and the early hours of the day, knowing that he could only hire a certain number. He must have been heartbroken to see all the faces of those looking for work that he could not take with him at that time. Their eyes must have pleaded with him to give them a job. I  know that feeling because I went down to the conference center to try and find a ticket for the Saturday afternoon session because my district of missionaries was singing in the choir. The scriptures don't say this, but I can imagine it because it is a nice thought, but I think that he would have told them with tear filled eyes, "Don't worry. I will come back. Wait here for me. I promise I will be back for you." He may have come and gone several times, but in the end they were all taken care of.  He will come back for you.

I love this quote:  I testify that you have not traveled beyond the reach of divine love. It is not possible for you to sink lower than the infinite light of Christ’s Atonement shines...His concern is for the faith at which you finally arrive, not the hour of the day in which you got there.

No comments:

Post a Comment