Sunday, December 18, 2011

Gumption

Gumption: Noun.
 1. The courage to take what action is needed
 2. Practical common sense and presence of mind.
 Ex: Kate Winslet. The Holiday (movie)...
"You're suppose to be the leading lady of your own life story!"



     This is my new years eve resolution. Have Gumption. I know that it is not even Christmas yet, but I am already well aware of my weaknesses and what I need to work on in the coming year. I want to be more independant and  take charge of my own life. Beacuse the truth of the matter is, having goals like "Get a 4.0 GPA," or "Lose 20 pounds" doesn't do you any good if you don't have the courage needed or committment to follow through.

     When I was seven years old my parents gave me and American Girl Doll named Samantha Parkington for my birthday. For those of you who grew up under a rock, the American Girl Dolls come with six books about their "life" and the time of history that they would have grown up in. Samantha is an upper class orphaned girl living with her grandmother in the early 1900's. One thing I remember about the first book in the series is that her grandmother makes her learn to sew and Samantha has to stitch the phrase,                                                                           
   
 "Actions Speak Louder Than Words."



    The Ameican Girl Doll books are not the only place where we can read these wise words of wisdom...

     Jane Autsen wrote in Sense and Sensibility, "It is not what we say or feel that makes us who we are...It is what we do or fail to do."

   
   William Shakespear wrote in Hamlet "This above above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any man."

   
     I think my own mother, Lisa Christensen, always said it best,
 "Don't give me excuses. Give me results."

     Yesterday I watched an adorable Barbra Striesand movie entitled "What's Up, Doc?" Never seen it? Let me give you the run down...



Barbra sees Ryan O''Neil.
Barbra falls in love with him.
Barbra decides to make him fall in love with her.
She is aggresive about being where he is and showing him what a charming person she is.
She doesn't let the fact that people think she is strange stop her.
She knows exactly what she whats and does what it takes to make it happen.
Ryan falls in love with Barbra.
  
   See how easy it is? If you want something bad enough - MAKE IT HAPPEN! My friend and I were talking after the movie about how we need to be more aggresive about making things happen, not only when it comes to romantic matters as shown in the example above (although seeing as we are both single that would not hurt us ; ) but in every aspect of our life. For some people it just comes nautral, and they accomplish their goals and get what they want. Others of us really need to work on this.

    That is why Elder Oaks teaches us that our desires are so important. Because if we want something bad enough we will do what it takes to make it happen. To quote from an article I was reading the other day called "Acres of Diamonds...."

When you want a thing bad enough to go out and fight for it,
To work day and night for it,
To give up your peace and your sleep and your time for it;
If only the desire of it makes your aim strong enough never to tire of it;
If life seems all empty and useless without it,
And all that you dream and you scheme is about it;
If gladly you'll sweat for it, fret for it, plan for it,
Pray with all your strength for it;
If you'll simply go after the thing that you want with all your capacity,
Strength and sagacity; faith, hope, and confidence, stern pertinacity;
If neither poverty nor cold nor famish nor gaunt
Nor sickness of pain to body or brain can turn you away from the aim
That you want;
If dogged and grim, you besiege and beset it, you'll get it!

     In the Book of Mormon, 3 Nephi chatper 27 verse 27, we read these words of the Savior,  "Therefore, what manner of men ought ye to be? Verily I say unto you, even as I am." Jesus is telling us that we need to BECOME like Him. It is not enough to admire Him or mearly respect Him. Be. Ye. Doers. In word and in deed.
  


     Here is one of my favorite talks about BEING and DOING. I learned a lot from it and encourage you to listen. It will inspire you to BE and DO better.

No comments:

Post a Comment